It is a common perception among international students that there are no tuition fees in Germany. So, they can study in Germany without paying expensive tuition fees. It is a big attraction for international students, especially those who belong to non-EU countries.
Tuition-free education means; only education is free of cost but not other expenses. Non-EU students are required to bear their living costs while studying in Germany. These costs can be; rent payments, insurance contributions, and food costs, etc. German embassy issues student visa once a visa applicant ensures that; he has enough money to fulfill these expenses.
The easiest and recommended way to show these expenses is a blocked account. You can open a blocked account in Deutsche Bank and deposit the specified amount recommended by German authorities. This recommended amount is 10,332€.
Opening of Deutsche bank blocked account:
Guess you aspire to open a blocked account in Deutsche bank. Then here is the complete procedure:
- First download account opening FORM from website of Deutsche Bank.
- Follow this path to reach form downloading section; Privatkunden > Konto und Karte > International Students > Forms [direct link]
- In the Form Section, go to the ‘opening blocked account’ tab and download the account opening form according to your age—two forms available here: one for under 18 students and the other for over 18.
- After downloading the correct form onon your personal computer, fill in with all the necessary information, and take a printout. Sign it carefully where required.
- Attach all the required documents with the account opening form.
- Typically one copy of passport and one copy of university acceptance letter required.
- Now visit your local German embassy or book an appointment for attestation of this account opening form. You can check attestation details on the website of the German embassy that belongs to your country. Typically Deutsche Bank refuses to open blocked accounts without attestation. Attestation means: you have to sign the account opening form in front of a German embassy representative.
- After attestation, the German Embassy/Consulate will take the form with other documents and send it to Deutsche Bank head office.
- In some countries, the German embassy sends this form on its own. And, in some countries, they put this form in a sealed envelope and handover to the applicant. Then it’s the responsibility of the applicant to send this form to Deutsche bank.
- Please check this info on the website of German missions belongs to your country.
- Once Deutsche bank will receive the account opening form. They will open a blocked account and send confirmation via email and by post. Confirmation will contain account details like; account number, etc.
- In the final step: transfer required money 10,332 euros in the blocked account via bank transfer or money transfer company.
- After receiving the money, Deutsche Bank confirms the amount transfer via email and by post.
- You can use this confirmation letter to get a visa for Germany.
You can de-block this account after arrival in Germany. Just bring your passport and visit the nearest Deutsche bank branch. Give them your account details and they will de-block your money. You will also get your Deutsche Bank Card and PIN in the next weeks.
Extension of Blocked Account:
In some German states, you have to show a blocked account to get a visa extension. Suppose your account is blocked only for one year. Then for next year, you have to block it again. To do this, just go to the blocked account form download section (path mentioned above) and hit the ‘Extensions of studies’ tab. Download the form according to your age, fill it, and submit to your local Deutsche bank branch. You can also send this form directly to Deutsche bank’s head office. Later, Deutsche bank will inform you about this extension by post.
Activation of Blocked Account:
If your DB blocked account already changed into a standard account. Then you can request Deutsche bank to transform it into a blocked account. To do this: go to the blocked account form download section (path mentioned above) and hit the ‘Activate a blocked account’ tab. Download the form according to your age, fill it with the required info and submit to your local Deutsche bank branch. You can also send this form directly to Deutsche bank’s head office. After activation, Deutsche bank will confirm with you by post.
Charges of Deutsche bank blocked account:
Deutsche bank’s one-time blocked account opening charges are 150€. After that, they charge 17.7 euros quarterly (5.90€ monthly) for account management services. These quarterly charges will start once you de-block your account.
Suppose you hate this complicated procedure and looking for other easy options. Then check this link.