Which documents required to change foreign driver license to a German driver license?
You require the following documents in order to convert your driver license into a German driver license.
- Residence Permit (Aufenthaltstitel) or valid passport
- Registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung)
- Original foreign driving license with German translation
- A biometric passport size picture
- An eye test
- Proof of a first aid course
- Appointment confirmation (if required in your city)
Procedure to change of foreign driver license to a German driver license:
If you live in Germany as a student or as an employee and desire to change your foreign driver’s license to a German driver’s license, follow this procedure.
- Go to the local ADAC office and get a translation to your existing driver’s license.
- Enroll in any driving school and get a first aid course.
- Do your eye test from any eye-specialist and get the report.
- If you don’t have biometric pictures with you, then get it from any photo booth.
- Book an appointment in Rathaus of your city and submit all four documents (driving license, translation, eye test, and first aid course) on the day of the appointment. Or, go to driving school and get their service. They will submit all of the documents on your behalf and charge their fee.
- Then take the classes for the theory test in your chosen driving school and pass the test.
- After that go for practical classes and pass the test.
- After successfully passing the theoretical and practical test, you can get your German driver license from the Straßenverkehrsamt (Vehicle registration office) of your city.
- If you hold an international driving license of your home country but your country’s driver’s license is not acceptable in Germany then you can drive in Germany for 185 days (6 months). After that, if you want to continue to drive in Germany then you have to convert your driver license to a German driver’s license.
- You can take practical classes before passing the theory test but it’s not recommended. I’d say pass the theory test first so that you know the meaning of all the traffic signs already. You need at least 90% marks to pass the theoretical exam.
Types of driver’s license in Germany:
German driver license for car and bike are divided into the following categories:
- Car: B, B1, BE
- Motorbike: AM, A1, A2, A
The total cost for both the A and B categories is 2,000 to 3,000 euros approximately but it can vary from city to city.