Purpose of this step by step guide is to give clarity on the whole Germany work visa process and share some common dos and don’ts. This article also has a FAQs section at the end. So please go through it for your common queries before posting any comment. Moreover, this article is more useful for the people who already have a job offer/work contract from Germany. Job seeking visa candidates also use this guide by replacing job offer/contract with blocked account.
To keep it simple, you have to follow the application process in the sequence as mentioned here. Complete your documents using the documents checklist mentioned below. Prepare 2 sets of the documents according to check list.
Application Process for Germany Work Visa:
- Apply for the Germany work visa appointment as soon as you get the job contract from your German employer. You’ll obviously need your passport number to book this appointment.
- Get 8 biometric photographs made as per the sizing requirements listed on German mission’s website.
- Get your original education documents complete in the following order.
- Matriculation Certificate
- Intermediate Certificate
- Bachelor, Master or Phd degrees and transcripts
- Once you have all the degrees and certificates. Go for HEC attestation for both your degrees and transcripts. I would suggest to have original plus 2 set of attested photocopies. (1 for sending to ZAB, 1 for keeping with you as a backup for any kind of later use).
- Apply equivalence certificate on Anabin Germany for all degrees which you have(bachelors and above). Required documents for this equivalence certificate are as follows:
- Photocopies of matriculation and intermediate certificates with transcripts duly attested by concerned boards.
- Photocopies of Bachelor, Master or PhD degrees and transcripts fully attested by HEC.
- German translation if your degrees or certificates are not in English language.
- Your employment contract.
- Your identity document (passport or identity card).
- If you changed your name then official proof of a possible change of name (if not shown on the identification document).
- Please don’t submit original documents, you have to submit only attested photocopies.
- Equivalence certificate is THE MOST IMPORTANT document and is needed in most of the cases because even if you find your university is listed here, your exact degree name might not be. In cases both are listed, this step may be skipped for the visa interview but you’ll still need it for applying for the blue card later so better apply for it asap.
- Tick the blue card option while filling the form for applying for this. This way you’ll receive the certificate within a week of payment submission.
- Pay the fee of 200 Euros (paid by the employer in work visa cases).
- Print the application form after filling it out online.
- Attach a signed work contract copy, HEC attested copies of your degree and transcripts, simple copies of your Matric and Intermediate degrees and your passport photocopy. Send them by courier to given address.
- You will receive the documents back but DO NOT send original documents at any cost.
- Original equivalent certificates may get delivered late. But soft copy of certificates will be received by email within a week of payment of dues. So take a color print of these soft copies and make its copies for the 2 visa application sets.
- Download work visa application form from German embassy website. Fill in and sign the application form.
- Also download, fill in and sign the Security Questionnaire.
- Download, fill in and sign the Applicant Declaration.
- Get a temporary accommodation (by employer in some cases, by yourself in some) and print out its documentation as a proof of your accommodation in the destination city.
- Get your CV printed.
- In case of previous work experience, use experience letters or any other kind of official document that states you have been working here on X designation for Y period etc. along with the contact details of the HR department of your company.
- Blocked account only if you are applying for job search visa. For work visa only job offer/contract letter is enough.
- Download and fill in list of your children in case you are married.
- Proof of your language skills according to job.
- Birth certificate and proof of personal status (marriage certificate, birth certificates children, list of children). In case you are also applying visa of your family along your visa. If you are applying alone then forget about this section. If you are single then forget about point 13 and 15.
- When you get the visa appointment email, take 3 print outs of it (1 for showing at the entrance, 2 for your visa file)
- After you have got the visa appointment email, search and book for a travel health insurance.
- Arrange the documents as the sequence given in the documents checklist.
- Reach the embassy well before your time and always expect a good crowd of people already there.
- Stay calm and follow their instructions once you are there and look prepared.
Useful Tips for Germany Work Visa:
- In case you are applying for job seeking visa then you don’t need equivalent certificates
- The German Embassy Islamabad is overwhelmed with the number of applications every day. So they really try to process each one quickly. If you are well-prepared then you’re actually assisting them as well and thus you can get done with the whole process within 2 hours from your arrival at the diplomatic enclave Islamabad.
- Not all the documents listed on the work visa site are needed, they are just too lazy to update their website so they copied the students section blindly. So don’t be afraid and the docs listed in this document are going to be everything that you need. I carried nothing more.
- DO NOT use any staples with any document, only use paper clips.
- Fill in all the documents with utmost care and use computer to fill in all the fields except the signature field. Then sign the print outs.
- Throughout filling out all your visa documents, use ONLY this date format: dd/mm/yyyy.
Documents Checklist for Work Visa:
Prepare 2 sets of the following documents according to this checklist along with the additional documents. These sets will be submitted to embassy/consulate. Also keep the original set to prove the authenticity of documents. Do not staple anything, only use paper clips, also keep the pictures paper-clipped on the sets.
|1||Visa Application form (Top in Order) |
-Completely and carefully filled application form.
-Intended date of travel should be 4-5 weeks after the interview date
|2||Application Declaration & Security Questionnaire|
|3||Employment Contract/Job offer|
|4||Proof of Accommodation|
|5||Anabin (ZAB) equivalent certificate (printout of online received files)|
-Any other certifications mentioned on your CV
|8||Experience Letter/Previous employment proof|
|9||Travel health insurance|
it’s a short form of: Anerkennung und Bewertung ausländischer Bildungsnachweise (Recognition and evaluation of foreign educational certificates). Anabin is a database which you can use to find out how your degrees will be evaluated in Germany. You can also apply equivalent certificates in Anabin.
No, anything not mentioned in the list is not needed at all. But to improve your vias file you can attach any additional supporting document.
Yes, for Anabin and later for Blue card.
Replace job offer letter/contract with blocked account. Second get equivalent certificate only if embassy required. Otherwise skip this step also. Rest will remain same.
You can apply like everybody else does, online job portals like linkedin, glassdoor and/or others related to your profession.
Only that language certificate required which is the official language of your company. If you already studied in English and have good English skills then nothing required.
Computerized National Identity Card.
Germany work visa is for those who already have job offer letter/contract from German company. Job seeking visa is for those who want to go Germany to find a job according to their qualification.
Have something to add this article? Share it in the comments below.