Kenyan students require a visa to enter and stay in Germany. Generally, students require a long term visa to study in Germany. Long term visa issued, when a person wants to stay in Germany for more than 90 days. This long term visa falls in the category of national visa. If you want to study at a German university as Kenyan students then you have to get a national visa.
Initially, the German embassy issue 90 days entry visa for Kenyan students. Students can get an extension on this visa after arrival in Germany. Students apply for residence permits in the office of Foreigners Authority (Ausländerbehörde) to extend this visa. Different German states have different laws for foreign students and they extend visas accordingly. For example, Ausländerbehörde Dresden extends the visa each year only for one year and Ausländerbehörde Hannover issues visa for two-years.
Germany is a very attractive country for international students. One of the main reasons for this attractiveness is tuition-free education. That’s why; each year thousands of foreign students come to Germany for higher studies. In just 2019, around 374,583 foreign students enrolled in German universities.
If you also want to study in Germany as a Kenyan student. Then you have to do three main things; first, get admission to a German university, second arrange finances for living expenses and third apply for a student visa. I will explain all three steps separately for a better understanding.
Procedure to Get Admission in German University as a Kenyan Student:
Admission letter required to get a student visa from the German embassy. You can obtain an admission letter once you secure admission to a German university. You can apply to one or many German universities for admission. But after acceptance, you can use only one admission letter to get a student visa.
Follow these steps to submit an admission application at a German university.
- Learn the required language.
- Arrange all your educational documents: certificates and degrees.
- To study bachelor in Germany: 10th & 12th-grade certificates
- To study master in Germany: 10th, 12th-grade certificates, and a bachelor’s degree.
- To study PhD in Germany: 10th, 12th-grade certificate, bachelor’s degree, and master’s degree.
- Certify all the required educational documents from issuing authorities or higher education departments. Attestation of educational documents is necessary to get a student visa in Kenya. So, better to do it in the first phase.
- Scan all certified degrees and certificates in your personal computer for online applications.
- Get notary attested photocopies to send applications by post. The number of photocopies depends on the number of admission applications. Beware and don’t send original documents to universities.
- Before sending admission application, decide yourself in which session you want to apply for admission: winter or summer semester and check admission deadlines accordingly.
- Search German universities that are offering your desired courses. Make a list of these universities on your computer. Also, check the admission procedure and requirements.
- If a university accepts direct admission applications then apply directly.
- If a university accepts admission applications via Uni-assist. Then apply via uni-assist.
- After a successful admission application, wait until the university will send you an admission letter/offer letter.
- Once you successfully receive your admission letter. Then move forward to the next step.
Arrangement of Finances for Kenyan students:
Germany offers tuition-free education to all local, EU and non-EU students. But students have to bear their living expenses on their own. Therefore, it is necessary for Kenyan students to show enough financial resources that prove they can bear all their living expenses on their own while studying in Germany. These financial proofs are required to show to get a student visa for Germany. Kenyan students have the following three options to show their financial resources to the German embassy.
- Blocked account
- Sponsor letter
If you have an excellent educational background then you can get a scholarship to study in Germany. With this scholarship, you can bear all your living expenses in Germany and also easily get the student visas. Check this article: how you can get a scholarship to study in Germany?
A blocked account is one of the most popular options to show your finances to the German embassy. Because each student not enough brilliant to get a scholarship. That’s why a blocked account is the best alternative. Students require to deposit 10,236 euros in a blocked account. Kenyan students can open blocked accounts in the following German banks.
If your family members or relatives living in Germany then you can request them to sponsor your studies as a grantor. For this, they must have to send you an official sponsor letter (Verpflichtungserklärung), that you can use to get a student visa for Germany.
Student Visa Process for Kenyan students:
You can confidently move to the visa process after securing the admission and arrangement of finances.
Kenyan students require to book an online appointment to obtain a student visa. So, try to get an online appointment at the German embassy in Kenya as early as possible.
After appointment booking, arrange all the necessary documents as per the requirement of the German embassy. Kenyan students require the following documents to get a student visa for Germany.
- Valid passport (original and 1 copy)
- 2 long term visa application form (download from German embassy website)
- University admission letter/offer letter (original and copy)
- Blocked account confirmation/Scholarship/Sponsor letter (use any)
- 2 biometric pictures
- Certified educational documents (original plus 1 copies of each document)
- Motivation letter
- IELTS/TOEFL certificate: original + one copy (if want to study in English)
- German language certificate: original + one copy (if want to study in German)
- Travel health insurance (original and one copy)
- Accommodation booking
- Copy of appointment confirmation
- G4S delivery slip (optional)
After document arrangement, prepare yourself for a visa interview. Better preparation will give you more confidence and hold your grip on all the knowledge. Then you can answer all the questions of the visa officer in a much better way.
Appearance in German Embassy Kenya
Dress up well and appear in the German embassy on appointment day. Submit your documents and give an interview. The embassy will also take your pictures and fingerprints.
Here you have two options to receive your passport: receive by yourself or receive at home via courier service. G4S courier service counters present within the German embassy Kenya (remains open from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 noon). You can buy a G4S delivery slip from these counters to use home delivery service. If you want to choose this option, then don’t forget to attach a G4S delivery slip with your documents. Otherwise, the embassy will unable to send a passport at your delivery address.
Fly to Germany
FAQs about Student Visa at German Embassy Kenya:
Visa processing time in the German embassy Kenya is up to three months. in special cases, where document verification is required, processing can be significantly longer up to 12 months.
The fee of national visa (long-term) is:
Adult (18 years and above): 75€
Yes, the German embassy Kenya only accepts visa fee in Kenyan Shilling based on the daily exchange rate. So, bring money to the embassy according to the current exchange rate. Alternatively, you can also pay with Credit Card.
Yes, you will get a Schengen visa and you will be allowed to freely travel in Schengen states.