Kenyan students require visa to enter and stay in Germany. Generally, students require long term visa to study in Germany. Long term visa issued, when a person want to stay in Germany more than 90 days. This long term visa fall in the category of national visa. So apply for national visa category, if you want to study in a German university.
Initially, German embassy issue 90 days entry visa for Kenyan students. Students can extend this visa after arrival in Germany. To extend this visa, students can apply for residence permit in office of Foreigners Authority (Ausländerbehörde). Residence permit issued for different durations according to state laws. Different German states have different laws for foreign students.
Germany is a very attractive country for international students. One of the main reason of this attractiveness is tuition free education. That’s why; each year thousands of foreign students come to Germany for higher studies. In just 2019, around 374,583 foreign students enrolled in German universities.
If you also want to study in Germany as a Kenyan student. Then you have to do three main things; first get admission in a German university, second arrange finances for living expenses and third apply for student visa. I will explain all of them separately for a better understanding.
Procedure to Get Admission in German University as a Kenyan Student:
Admission letter required to get student visa from German embassy. You can obtain admission letter once you secure admission in a German university. You can apply in one or many German universities for admission. But after acceptance, you can use only one admission letter to get student visa.
Follow these steps to submit an admission application in a German university.
- Learn required language.
- English language; if you want to study in English.
- Mostly required for master and Phd
- German language; if you want to study in German.
- Mostly required for Studienkolleg and then for bachelor
- Arrange all your educational documents; certificates and degrees.
- To study bachelor in Germany; 10th & 12th grade certificate
- To study master in Germany; 10th, 12th grade certificate and bachelor degree.
- To study Phd in Germany; 10th, 12th grade certificate, bachelor degree and master degree.
- English language; if you want to study in English.
- Attest all the required educational documents from issuing authorities or higher education department. Attestation is necessary to get student visa in Kenya. So, better to do it in first phase.
- Scan attested degrees and certificates in your personal computer for online applications.
- Get notary attested photocopies to send applications by post. Number of photocopies depends on number of admission applications. Beware and don’t send original documents to universities.
- Decide, in which session you want to apply for admission; winter or summer semester. Check admission deadlines accordingly.
- Search German universities that are offering your desired courses. Make a list of these universities in your computer. Also check admission procedure and requirements.
- If university accept direct admission applications then apply directly.
- If university accept admission applications via Uni-assist. Then apply via uni-assist.
- After successful admission application, wait until university will send you admission letter / offer letter.
- Once you successfully receive your admission letter. Then move forward to next step.
Arrangement of Finances:
Germany offer tuition free education to all local, EU and non-EU students. But students have to bear their living expenses by their own. Therefore, it is necessary for Kenyan students to show enough financial resources that proves; they can bear all their living expenses by their own while studying in Germany. These financial proofs are required to get a student visa for Germany. Kenyan students have three options to show their financial resources to Germany embassy.
- Blocked account
- Sponsor letter
If you have excellent educational background. Then you have opportunity to get a scholarship for Germany. With this scholarship you can bear all your living expenses in Germany and also easily get student visa. Check: how you can get scholarship for Germany?
Blocked account is one of the most popular option to show your finances to German embassy. Because each student not enough brilliant to get a scholarship. Students required to deposit 10,236 euros in blocked. Kenyan students can open blocked account in following German banks.
If your family members or relatives living in Germany. Then, you can request them to sponsor your studies. For this, they will send you an official sponsor letter (Verpflichtungserklärung), that you can use to get student visa for Germany.
Student Visa Process:
You can confidently move to visa process after securing the admission and arrangement of finances.
After appointment booking, arrange all the necessary documents as per requirement of German embassy. Kenyan students required following documents to get student visa for Germany.
- Valid passport (original and 1 copy)
- 2 long term visa application form (obtain from German embassy website)
- University admission letter / offer letter (original and copy)
- Blocked account confirmation / Scholarship / Sponsor letter (use any)
- 2 biometric pictures
- Attested educational documents (original plus 1 copies of each document)
- Motivation letter
- IELTS / TOEFL certificate; original + one copy (if want to study in English)
- German language certificate; original + one copy (if want to study in German)
- CV / Resume
- Travel health insurance (original and one copy)
- Accommodation booking
- Copy of appointment confirmation
- G4S delivery slip (optional)
After document arrangement, prepare yourself for visa interview. Better preparation will give you more confidence and grip on all the knowledge. Then you can answer all the question of visa officer in a better way.
Appearance in German Embassy Kenya
Dress well and appear in German embassy on appointment day. Submit your documents and give interview. Embassy will also take your pictures and fingerprints.
Here you have two options to collect your passport: collect by yourself or receive at home via courier service. G4S courier service counters present within the German Embassy (open from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 noon). You can buy G4S delivery slip from these counters to use home delivery service. If you want to choose this option, then don’t forget to attach G4S delivery slip with your documents. Otherwise embassy will unable to send passport at your delivery address.
Fly to Germany
FAQs about Student Visa at German Embassy Kenya
Visa processing time in German embassy Kenya is up to three months. in special cases, where document verification is required, processing can be significantly longer; upto 12 months.
Fee of national visa (long-term) is:
Adult (18 years and above): 75€
Yes, German embassy Kenya only accept visa fee in Kenya Shilling based on daily exchange rate. So, bring money according to current exchange rate. Alternatively, you can also pay with credit Card.
Yes, you will get schengen visa and you will allowed to freely travel in schengen states.